Valuing Diversity New Faculty Research Grant
For newly minted faculty, the first two years in a tenure track position are critical to the successful launch of an academic career. Publication and research requirements are often more daunting than completing a dissertation. The purpose of the Valuing Diversity New Faculty Research Grant is to assist newly minted PhD Project alumni faculty with this challenging period in their career. Through a partnership between the AMA Foundation, the PhD Project, and the Sheth Foundation, a grant has been established to support underrepresented minority faculty just starting out in their academic career.
A minimum of two grants of $3,000 each will be awarded to two new tenure track faculty to support their research program.
Eligibility and Deadline
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have completed their PhD in Marketing within the last two years.
- Applicants must be an alum of the PhD Project Marketing Doctoral Student Association (MDSA) and currently a member of the Marketing Ethnic Faculty Association (MEFA), the faculty extension of MDSA (If not currently a member, applicants can join after submitting an application).
- Applicants must be in their first or second year of a tenure-track assistant professor position.
- Applicants must be from one of the following underrepresented populations on the faculty in business schools: African American, Hispanic American, or Native American.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. Resident.
- Applicants must not be a previous recipient of the Valuing Diversity New Faculty Research Grant.
To be considered for the award, please submit a brief research proposal that includes:
- Clear statement of research objectives and research question(s) addressed
- A short background section that includes citations from the relevant literature
- Brief overview of research design and methodology
- Statement of the intended contribution(s) to the marketing discipline
- Practical implications of the research
- Project timeline, including milestones and an expected completion date
- Vita(e) of the researcher(s) and contact information
The proposal should also explain how receiving a New Faculty Research Grant will help the applicant further his/her research efforts. The proposal must be in Microsoft Word format and should be 4-6 pages in length, double-spaced, in 12 pt. type; references, figures, tables, etc. may be supplied on additional pages and do not count against the six-page maximum. Please note that while diversity research is welcome, it is not a requirement that the research focus on diversity. All innovative research domains will be considered equally.
The chair of the AMA Foundation Diversity Sub-Committee and President of MEFA will select a committee to evaluate the proposals.
Announcement of Winners
The award winners will be recognized and presented with an award certificate at The PhD Project Dinner (August 2017) at the Marketing Doctoral Students Association Annual Conference, in addition to being recognized at the 2017 AMA Summer Educators' Conference in San Francisco. Funds for the grant will be made available to the recipients to support their research beginning in Summer 2017.
In accepting the award, the award recipients agree to present their work at an appropriate research venue, such as the annual PhD Project Marketing Doctoral Student Association (MDSA) conference, a special session at AMA hosted by the Diversity and Marketing (DAM) SIG, or the annual MEFA conference. A travel stipend will be provided to the winner to attend one of these events. Past applicants are encouraged to reapply.
These grants have been made possible through the financial support of the Sheth Foundation.
Congratulations to the Inaugural Valuing Diversity New Faculty Research Grant Recipients!